You are not logged in.

Welcome to Sims2Workshop. Our aim is to "break the chains" of the original Sims games and deliver new game modifications to fans worldwide, 100% Free. Most files on this site are archived in to either .zip, .rar or .7z format so a file extractor is needed, this is for faster downloads and economy of resources. Free registration is required for downloading as a site security measure. We hope you enjoy our site and our Sims Mods.......[The S2W Team]

Dear visitor, welcome to . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Carrigon

FireStarter

• "Carrigon" is female

Date of registration: Feb 13th 2006

Level: 45 [?]

Experience: 4,553,699

Next Level: 5,107,448

Monday, November 10th 2008, 3:39pm

Custom Sound Tutorial

Custom Sound Tutorial
by
Carrigon
http://www.sims2workshop.com

Credits: Shaklin and Hexameter

This tutorial assumes you already know how to clone objects. This is a fairly advanced tutorial, it is not for beginners, but it should present a clear picture on how to add a new sound or song into the game. Please do NOT PM me or otherwise bug me about this tutorial. I CANNOT help you with your individual projects. If you get stuck, just start over. Do NOT post this tutorial anywhere without my permission! Do NOT upload my tutorial objects anywhere without my permission!

If you use this tutorial to make objects or add new sound into your game, please give me credit and a link back to Sims2workshop.com

You will need SimPE. You will need whatever object you are trying to add your new sound to. You will need any project files I have included with this tutorial. And you will need to keep notepad or wordpad open to add the important info as we go along.

Adding sound into the game really isn't that hard to do. It's just a complicated process and you have to really pay attention to what you are doing. It's kind of like working a puzzle. The pieces will fit if you do them right.

The game should accept MP3 files and Wav files. So basically, you can add any song you want to or any sound effect.

This tutorial will only show you how to add one sound at a time. You can always make more sound files and call them into your object. There are other ways of doing this, but my method is the easiest and will get you there the fastest.

Step One:

The first thing we are going to do is to make our sound file. So first, pick a sound or song you want to use. For the purposes of this tutorial, I'm using an MP3 of Static X's Push it. Give your sound file an easy name to remember and stick a number one at the end of it. I have renamed my sound file: Carrigon_Push1.mp3

Do NOT name your sound file with weird characters or symbols or the file may not work. Keep it simple!

Now, open up wordpad or notepad. Copy in just the name of the sound file without the extension like this:
Carrigon_Push1

Underneath the name, type in the following:

Instance High: 0x

Instance: 0x

See screenshot One.

Leave your notes open, but we are going to open up SimPe. Now what we are going to do is to create new Instances that will tell the game we have a new sound file. And this is one of the areas where people get confused, so take it slowly.

Step Two:

What you need for this step is any package file that you can click Fix TGI with. The easiest way to do this is to use a sculpture or picture. You only need to do this once. For this tutorial, let's just use a simple picture object. I'm including it in the project files. So just follow along with the screenshots. Open my picture object with SimPe. And click on Geometric Data Container as shown in screenshot two.

Okay, now look at the line that says Filename. Delete everything in that line, you can just backspace over it or highlight and delete it. Make sure there is nothing in that line and don't touch anything else.

What you need to do is to put the sound file name from our notes into this line. And then click Fix TGI. Do NOT click anything else. Just look at my screenshot three.

When you clicked Fix TGI, the Instance High and the Instance numbers should have changed. See where I have it circled in the screenshot? We need those numbers. So you will need to write them down in your notes. Put the instance high number where it's listed in your notes and put the instance number in. Put them in EXACTLY the way you see them. We already have an 0x in our notes, so just add the rest of the numbers. Your notes should look like this:

Sound file Name:
Carrigon_Push1

Instance High: 0xBF5505FD

Instance: 0xFF933249

Exit SimPE WITHOUT saving or touching anything! Do NOT SAVE. We don't want those changes in the picture file, we just needed this info.

Step Three:

Okay, what we now have is the numbers to tell the game we have a new song or sound file. But we still have to create the proper file for the game to use. Open up my Carrigon_Push1.package file with SimPE.

Only one of the files listed as an MP3 really is one. And that is the one we need to work from first. To be able to tell which one is the right file, you look at the GROUP number. NEVER touch the one that has 0xADD550A7. That is the one that needs to remain as it is. I'll show you what to do with it later.

We will be working with the other MP3 file, the one with GROUP number 0x0B8AB3CD. That is the real sound file. And the first thing we need to do with it is to give it our new High Instance and Instance numbers that we have from our notes.

Step Four:

Look at my screenshot four. Click on the Real MP3 file I have circled in the screenshot and then Click the Resource Tab in SimPE at the bottom of your screen. See screenshot five. You can see the area where to put in the Instance High number and Instance number from our Notes. Just delete the old numbers in there and copy and paste in the new ones exactly as I have it in my screenshot. Then click commit and go to File, Save at the top of SimPE to save your changes.

Step Five:

Now we get to import our sound file into this file that we've been working on. To do that, right click the file in SimPE as shown in the screenshot six. And choose REPLACE. Search your hardrive for the sound you want to add. Or use mine from the tutorial. So click on Carrigon_Push1.MP3 and click Open to import it. Go to File, Save to save your changes. You don't need the .MP3 file again. You are done with it.

Step Six:

This next step will personalize your file. This is how you prove the file is yours. We are going to replace the Instance High and Instance numbers for the rest of the parts of this file with the ones we just used from our notes. So, all the Instance Highs and all the Instances in the file should match our new sound file's. You just want to do what you did in Step Four. Click on each file in SimPE and replace the Instance High and Instance with the ones from our notes. Click Commit after each one and then go to File, Save. Your file should look like my screenshot seven.

Step Seven:

This next step seems complicated, but it's easier than it seems. Just look at my screenshot eight. Click the Track Settings file in SimPE. Click the PlugIn View tab at the bottom of SimPE. Your screen should start to look like my screenshot eight. Click the Number Converter Tab on the right of SimPE. In the top line of the Number Converter Tab past in your Instance number from our notes. NOT the high instance, just the other one. This one: Instance: 0xFF933249

Okay, see the numbers that were generated in the line below it? These numbers: 4287836745

Go to line four of the Track Settings where I have it circled in screenshot eight. Click your cursor in there and just backspace to remove the old numbers and then paste in the new numbers as show in the screenshot. Click commit and go to File, Save. Make sure what you did looks exactly like my screenshot eight.

The next step we will do this for the High Instance, generating a new set of numbers.

Step Eight:

For this step, basically you are repeating what you just did, but use the HIGH Instance number as shown in the screenshot nine. And this number goes in line nine of the track settings.
So put this: Instance High: 0xBF5505FD In the number converter. And take the numbers it generates and replace them in line nine as shown in my screenshot. When you are done, make sure you click commit and go to file save. Check that your screen looks exactly like my screenshot nine.

Step Nine:

This step, we will be working from the Hex tab of SimPE. I promise, it's not as scary as it looks. Click the UNK file in SimPE and then click the Hex tab at the bottom of SimPE. Your screen should look the way my screenshot ten does.

We are going to put our Instance numbers in and then our High Instance numbers. They are entered the same way GUIDS are entered into our codes, in groups of two from the back to the front. It can be intimidating if you are not used to it. Work slowly because this must be done accurately.

We will start with the Instance number. Click on d8 in the Hex editor where I have it circled. We will change this first. Then you will repeat these steps for the next set of numbers.

The small Byte area I have circled, that's where you change the number. Then click Highlight and the number will change for you. Then just click the next number in the row and repeat until you have your Instance numbers in correctly. Just look at my screenshot eleven and make sure what you do looks like my screen.

Do the same for the High Instance number as shown in my screenshot twelve. When you are done changing the numbers, click Commit and save the file. Close this file as we are now done creating our new game sound file.

Step Ten:

This step will show you how to call upon your new sound in whatever file you want to use it for. We will be working from my picture object file. I've already set it up for you. Just watch my screenshots and I will explain what you need to do for your own files. Look at screenshot thirteen.

Open my picture object file in SimPE.

Take the name of your sound file that we wrote in our notes when we first started this project. We are going to put that into our file. So click on the TEXT LISTS area of SimPE on your left. And on your right, click the SOUNDS file as shown in my screenshot thirteen. (If you used the same file name that I used, you don't need to do anything here, but if you used your own file name, do the next steps.) Put the name of your new sound in the STRING area. Click commit and save the file.

Any file you want to add sound to must have a TEXT LISTS Sound file and it must have the name of the sound you want to call upon.

Step Eleven:

Look at Screenshot fourteen. Click on Behavior Functions on the left of SimPE. Click on Interaction Play Custom Sound. Your screen should look like my screenshot fourteen. Do NOT touch anything, just LOOK! You should be able to see the name of your new sound in the code line circled. On the right, in the Operands, the small box I have circled is the one that contains the number of your new sound in the TEXT LISTS Sounds file. Since we used line zero, that box has all zeros in it. That's how it's linking to the sound.

You really don't need to look at anything else since the file is already set up for you. Close the file, exit SimPE.

Step Twelve:

Test the files in game. I've used a very basic code. The file is not useable by child sims. So to test this in game, Put BOTH the Picture Object package and the Push1 package into your game. Find the Grilled Cheese painting, look in Hobbies/All. Have a teen or older sim click on it. If you hear the song Push It, then you did it right.

End of Tutorial. Please give me credit if you use this tutorial for your projects. Do not post this tutorial or the tutorial objects anywhere without my permission.
Carrigon has attached the following images:
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut1.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut2.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut3.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut4.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut5.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut6.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut7.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut8.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut9.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut10.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut11.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut12.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut13.JPG
  • Carrigon_CustomSoundTut14.JPG
Carrigon has attached the following files:
If you like my work, Support my site buy buying my mother's autobiography, The Mobster's Daughter,
And The Companion Cookbook, The Mobster's Daughter's Cookbook.

The Mobster's Daughter
Kindle Version With Free Preview
Hard Copy Version

The Mobster's Daughter's Cookbook
Hard Copy Version
Kindle Version Cookbook with Free Preview

Or Buy My book, Carrigon's Horror Anthology, A collection of my short horror stories.
Carrigon's Horror Anthology
Hard Copy on Amazon
Amazon Kindle with Free Preview